People at the Lewis Cycle and Motor Works and Vivian Lewis Limited, 1893 - 1935

Before the formation of Vivian Lewis Limited in 1907, Vivian Lewis's businesses traded under various names including the Ormonde Bicycle Depot, the Lewis Cycle Works and the Lewis Cycle and Motor Works. Here we have assembled details on people who worked for, or were at least closely associated with, any of these early businesses. As at November 2011, there are some 226 people listed here.

When Mann's Motors took a controlling interest in Vivian Lewis Limited in the early 1920s, seemingly with the aim of gaining control of the Oldsmobile agency, the other activities of the company were divested and were formed, in 1924, into a new company called Lewis Cycle Works Limited. We have listed employees of that later company on another page.

Please contribute more information if you can!

H. S. Abbott
Herbert Stanley Abbott was driving one of the Lewis mail vans when, at 4 a.m. on 3rd January 1908 (just 52 hours into the mail contract), he collided with the rear of an unlit dray on Glen Osmond Road.
F. T. Ackland
Frederick Thomas Ackland was a mechanic with Lewis from 1906 (or 1908, depending on source) until 1911. When Lewis won a contract to clear mail from pillar boxes, Fred Ackland was put in charge of the night shift, after being sworn in by the Superintendent of Mails. When he left Lewis, he joined Motors Limited where he went on to a long and distinguished career.
W. R. Ackland
William Royce Ackland, nephew of Fred Ackland, went to work for Vivian Lewis Ltd in May 1911. In 1914, Bill Ackland opened a motor business in Jeparit in the Wimmera-Mallee district of Victoria, where he sold and serviced cars and motor cycles. According to his obituary, Lewis motorcycles were sold from Ackland's Jeparit agency - if so, this was one of the few interstate Lewis agencies.
E. R. Anderson
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
C. Aunger
Murray Aunger's younger brother Cyril Aunger worked at Lewis for a period up until about 1909. In 1907, when his signature appears as a witness on documents establishing Vivian Lewis Limited, he gave his occupation as "warehouse assistant".
H. H. M. Aunger
Horace Hooper Murray Aunger (known as Murray) was a champion cyclist and a pioneer motorist. He was working with Lewis in 1900 when the first Lewis car was commissioned, and left in 1909 to establish his own motor business. A brief biography can be found here.
H. H. Austin
was auditor for Vivian Lewis Ltd in at least 1915 and 1916.
T. Bailey
Tom Bailey was a cyclist who in 1898 rode for the Swift Pacing Team in Sydney and Brisbane before settling "permanently" in Adelaide in August 1898, where he went to work for the Lewis Cycle Works. Since his exploits were published in some detail in the Barrier Miner for 9 August 1898, he may have been a Broken Hill lad.
Master Barret
participated in the "Boys under 15" race at the employees' picnic in November 1910 - quite young lads were employed at the time, but it is also possible he was the son of an employee.
A. Bartholomaeus
Mr Arch. Bartholomaeus "with his wide experience of Motor Engineering" took charge of the Burra Branch of Vivian Lewis Ltd in January 1917.
Mr Beasley
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Mr Beaumont
attended the third Vivian Lewis Limited employees' picnic in November 1910, and again in October 1912 when he was involved on the orgaising committee.
A.M. Beck
worked at Lewis over the period 1902 - 1922. He acted as a driver in the early days, and from correspondence it would seem that he had engineering expertise. He participated in the Lewis sports day in November 1909, played cricket for the "married men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912, and appears in the 1919 staff photograph. He resigned his position as a car salesman with Vivian Lewis Limited in August 1922, to take up a similar position with the Phoenix Motor Company, Limited.
H. Beck
said to be of Vivian Lewis Limited is pictured in a Napier on top of Mt Gambier in October 1909. Was he related to A.M. Beck?
J.W.K. Beddome
John Winter Kingham Beddome was the company secretary for Vivian Lewis Limited in 1930 - 1933.
Mr Bennett
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
N.K. Birks
Napier Birks was elected Chairman of Directors of Vivian Lewis Limited in May 1923. He had founded Motors, Limited in 1911, and seen it grow to a most successful business. He was also chairman of directors at Charles Birks & Co., the well-known drapers on Rundle Street Adelaide. Birks presided over the transition from the old Lewis company to the new entity owned by Fred Mann and Mann's Motor Limited, and completed this task in less than 10 months. He had left the company by March 1924.
Mr Blair
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1908.
Mrs Boardman
participated in "Cotton Winding" at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in November 1908. She may have been an employee, or perhaps the wife of an employee.
Miss Bowman
participated in "Cotton Winding" at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in November 1909. She may have been an employee, or perhaps the daughter of an employee.
Mr Braidwood
played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
Mr Brittain
participated in events at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
W. Brooker
was the company secretary for Vivian Lewis Limited in 1921.
Mr Brown
played cricket for the "married men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
H. G. Brown
Harod G. Brown was one of three Vivian Lewis Limited employees to lose his life in the Great War. Since he was only 21 at the time of his death in March 1917, he is not the Mr. Brown listed above. Other than that he worked at the Motor House, nothing is known of his role at Lewis. His obituary appears on page 7 of the Advertiser 20 April 1917.
H. Buik
In 1897 Mr Buik was part of the three-member team that rode the "new" Lewis cycle triplet, pacing cyclists at the Jubilee Oval in Adelaide.
S. Butcher
When Stephen Butcher launched his new business "Butcher's Motor Car Exchange" in 1915, he described himself as a "well-known and reliable motor car salesman, late of Vivian Lewis Ltd and Clutterbuck brothers". In June 1917 he "once again joined the "Knights of the Road"" and rejoined the staff of Vivian Lewis. "Mr Butcher is well known all over the state as "the little man who writes big business"". He was a salesman, and in February 1919 took the Motoring Editor of the Mail for a spin the in first Oldsmobile landed by Lewis!
Miss Cahill
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
G. E. Canning
was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
E. Campbell
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
A.B. Carnell
successfully raced Lewis motorcycles around 1913 - 1918, and is believed to have worked at Lewis during this period.
E. Carrell
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
W. T. Carter
was working with Lewis in 1900.  A Mr and Mrs Carter participated in events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in November 1908, presumably W.T.C. and his wife - he certainly particpated at the same event in November 1909 when he teamed with Bill Courtney to win the wheelbarrow race! Unpaced in the wheelbarrow race in 1910, he won the hurdles. A Mr Carter starred for the Lewis football team in a game against Eyes and Crowle in August 1910.
Mr Carthner
attended the third Vivian Lewis Limited employees' picnic in November 1910, where he offered a toast to "the visitors".
J. Carruthers
Jack Carruthers was working with Lewis at the time the album photographs were taken - c1904-5. He appears in photographs 10 and 17.
J. H. Cazneau
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
A. Chambers
Alf Chambers was working with Lewis in 1900. A Mrs Chambers participated in the "Cotton Winding" race at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in November 1908, and in the "Married Ladies" race in 1910 - if this was Alf's wife, he may have still been an employee at this time. Mr Chambers (presumably Alf, but see entry for George Chambers below) was on the organising committee for the October 1912 employees' picnic, and spoke at Vivian Lewis' farewell in May 1913, suggesting he might be one of the very long-standing members of the firm.
G. Chambers
represented Vivian Lewis Limited at a meeeting of the League of South Australian Wheelmen in August 1917. Mr Geo. Chambers, "manager of the cycle department", attracted special mention at a 25th anniversary social in October 1917, suggesting he was one of the founding members of the firm. I now suspect that Alf Chambers and Geo. Chambers are one in the same person.
H. Chigwidden
represented Vivian Lewis Limited at a meeeting of the League of South Australian Wheelmen in August 1917.
G. Church
When Mr. Church retired from the Lewis Cycle and Motor Works in November 1903, he was said to have been "connected to the firm for a number of years".  At his farewell, works manager Tom O'Grady, on behalf of those engaged by the firm, presented him with a hall lamp.
H.E. Colebatch
Hector Edwin Colebatch, son of company secretary G.G. Colebatch and his wife, was killed in action in April 1917. Prior to joining up in 1915, he had worked with Vivian Lewis, Limted, for four years.
G.G. Colebatch
George Gardiner Colebatch became company secretary after Berry Smith's tragic death in 1910. He held the post until 1914. A Mr Colebatch played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912 - presumably Hector (above) as Mr Colebatch was also on the "married men" team!
J. G. Collins
Jim Collins worked at the Mt Gambier branch of Vivian Lewis Ltd after the first war. One of his tasks was brazing bicycle frames: the torch he used for this purpose has survived to this day. Many photos survive of Jim riding his c1911 Lewis, registration 1233, in the Mount Gambier district.
Mr Cook
participated in events at the third Vivian Lewis Limited employees' picnic in November 1910 - possibly H.Cooke below?
H. Cooke
finished second in the bicycle race at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909.
Mr Coombe
starred for the Lewis football team in a game against Eyes and Crowle in August 1910, and played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912 (likely Coombs below). In 1917 Lewis paid tribute to its emplyees who had enlisted - L. B. Coombe was among them.
Mr Coombs
attended the third Vivian Lewis Limited employees' picnic in November 1910 (likely Coombe above).
W. Courtney
William Courtney was, like many Lewis employees, a cyclist in the 1890s. In May 1898 accompanied French racing cycliste Mlle Serpolette when she gave a display of cycling at the Jubilee Oval. It is not   known whether he was working for Lewis at this time, but he was with Lewis in November 1900 when the first Lewis car was commissioned, and by 1921 had risen to be manager of the Motorcycle Department. He was a keen motorcyclist and often accompanied Lewis and O'Grady on runs. At the employees' picnic in 1912, he won the "Old Buffers" event! He appears in the 1919 staff photograph.
J. Crago
played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912, and is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Mr Craker
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1908.
Mr Cram
was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
S. J. Crannaford
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. S.J.C. was likely Sydney John Crannaford, born in 1884 in Thebarton. At some point the family moved to Broken Hill, where he remained until at least 1916. It is said that he left Broken Hill with his wife and child in a motor cycle and side car to return to Adelaide where (it seems form the photo) he was employed with Lewis. It is not know if he was involved with the Broken Hill branch of Lewis. He opened a cycle shop in King William Street, Adelaide (near the present day Trims) and later bought a property in Halifax Street Adelaide where the family operated a cycle shop until the 1980s.
Mr Critchley
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909.
H. B. Crosby
Henry Burgess Crosby, M.P. was the managing director of Vivian Lewis Limited from 1913, through until at least the time of Vivian Lewis' death in 1919, and likely into 1922. During this time, he held a one third share of the company.
F. C. Custance
Frederick Cyril Custance participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnics in  November 1908 and November 1909. In March 1909 while still with the firm he accompanied G.G. White in his 35 h.p. Talbot (presumably bought from Lewis) on a Melbourne-Adelaide record attempt. Their time of 20 hours and 6 minutes broke Bertie Barr Smith's previous record (set in his 60 h.p. Napier) by 2 hours and 18 minutes. The pair also set Melbourne-Sydney records. Fred Custance was (arguably) the first man to fly an aircraft in South Australia when, at least by reports, he stayed aloft in a Bleriot for 5 minutes and 25 seconds in March 1910. Only a week or so later he was back in the 35 h.p. Talbot with G.G. White to reclaim the Sydney-Melbourne record. In November 1912 he set Australasian and South Australian 12 and 24 hour records by covering 532 miles in 24 hours' continuous riding on his 3 1/2 h.p. Lewis motorcycle. He had a period as manager of the Burra branch of Vivian Lewis Limited.
Master Daniels
participated in the "Boys under 15" race at the employees' picnic in November 1910 - quite young lads were employed at the time, but it is also possible he was the son of an employee.
Miss Davis
participated in "Cotton Winding" at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in November 1908. She may have been an employee, or perhaps the daugther of an employee.
Mr Dawson
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1908.
Mr Day
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. The hand-written caption seems to say "Ha Day" - possibly Harold Day?
R. B. Day
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
J. Dignan
was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
G. Dippe
Gus Dippe (or perhaps more correctly Gus von der Dippe) was involved with Lewis from the early days. In a 1915 speech to commemorate 25 years of business, Vivian Lewis made special mention of Gus and referred to him as "the first boy".  In 1897 he was part of the three-member team that rode the "old" Lewis cycle triplet, pacing cyclists at the Jubilee Oval in Adelaide. He was the Secretary of the Adelaide Bicycle Club in 1904, and organised a cycling tour of the Fleurieu Peninsula for the club in December that year. His organisation was praised, as was the "valuable yet judicious use he made of his Lewis motor (car, presumably) in assisting his club fellows". Gus was obviously a trusted driver for Lewis. In January 1905 he was charge of a party of three Lewis hire cars that went to the Clare Races, and drove one of the cars. In February conducted a party to Mannum and return, and in May the same year he drove one of Vivian Lewis's De Dions in the Automobile Club reliability trial, with Walter Torode on board as an observer for the final stage.
J. Dover
In 1897 Mr Dover was part of the three-member team that rode the "old" Lewis cycle triplet, pacing cyclists at the Jubilee Oval in Adelaide.
W. Duncan
was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
T. Durnell
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
D. M. Evans
was the company secretary for Vivian Lewis Limited in 1934 - 1935, the final two years of its existance.
L. V. Evans
Llewellyn Victor Evans was the company secretary for Vivian Lewis Limited in 1928 - 1929.
S. Evans
Sidney (or Sydney) Evans was the manager of the Kadina Branch in the early 1920s. Tragically he took his own life in August 1921 - he was said to have been "depressed on account of business slackness"
Mr. Everton
spoke on behalf of the Broken Hill employees at Vivian Lewis' farewell in May 1913.
W. J. Farmer
was was working at the Lewis Cycle Works in July 1898, after which he left to take up a position with the Dunlop Tyre Co. He was said to be a "prominent member of the League" (assume league of South Australian Wheelmen). Since he new position involved relocating to Sydney, he may have held quite a senior position at Lewis.
W. Faulkner
Wilf Faulkner was apprenticed to the Clare Branch in 1921. When the business closed in 1923 he moved to another Clare firm, Stanley Motor Works. Wilf went on to found Eclipse Motors in Ballarat, Victoria.
E. Ferguson
Edgar Ferguson was arguably the most successful racing motorcyclist in South Australia from the arly teens into the 1920s. He was in the employ of Vivian Lewis Ltd in 1915 when he was involved in an incident involving stolen property. He went on to campaing Indian motorycles with great success, and ran a business around Indians into the 1960s.
Miss Ferguson
participated at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909.
Mr Field
In 1897 Mr Field was part of the three-member team that rode the "new" Lewis cycle triplet, pacing cyclists at the Jubilee Oval in Adelaide.
Mr Finke
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1908.
Mr Fitzgerald
was the manager of the Balaklava branch of Vivian Lewis Limited in October 1921 (when on-the-run prison escapees broke into the branch and stole two motorcycles!)
D. Fraser
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Miss Gardiner
participated in the "Single Ladies" race at the employees' picnic in November 1910 - she was likely an employee, or the daughter of an employee.
W. Gibson
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
A. E. Gilbert
was the proprietor of the Ariel Cycle and Motor Works, Murray Street, Gawler. Gilbert was the agent for  Vivian Lewis Limited in Gawler c1910 and advertised extensively in the local paper, The Bunyip.
E. E. Gilbert
Ernest Edwin Gilbert worked for Lewis at the time of the manufacture of the first lewis car in 1900. It is claimed that he was responsible for building the wheels of the car - an activity shared, it seems, by Merirrington Mullins. Ernest and his brother William joined with their father in the S. Gilbert & Sons cycle business in Strathalbyn, where they built Treblig motorcycles. E. E. Gilbert and G. H. Gilbert were cousins.
G. H. Gilbert
Garnet Henry Laurence Gilbert began working for the Lewis Cycle Works in Adelaide some time around 1899. In January 1907 he moved to Mount Gambier to take up the position of workshop manger at the newly-acquired branch. In August 1911 he made the first successful climb of Mt Gambier on a motorcycle, riding a 3 1/2 h.p. single-gear Lewis. Although he had short stints at the Adelaide and Kadina branches during the first war, he apparently spent much of his working life in the Mt Gambier region. In the late teens he was the proprietor of Gilbert's Garage in Mt Gambier, at a time when the Lewis Branch was still running elsewhere in town. Garnet was the cousin of E. E. Gilbert (see above) who also worked for Lewis in the early days.
E. Glading
was described in June 1918 as "ex-works manager of Vivian Lewis". He was at that time in Sydney.
F. Goode
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. Mr Goode - presumably the same man - was on the orgaising committee for the 1912 employees' picnic.
W. G. Gordon
was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
F. Gorton
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
F. Gray
Frank Gray was the company secretary for Vivian Lewis Limited in 1922 - 1923.
F. Grenville
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
S. Halliday
was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
A. J. Harper
was involved with Vivian Lewis Limited selling ACE motorcycles. He carried on as supervisor when the ACE agency shifted to the Lewis Cycle Works around April 1924.
W. H. Harris
Walter Hope Harris was the company secretary for Vivian Lewis Limited from 1915 to 1920, and in 1924 he was the founding company secretary for Lewis Cycle Works Limited. He appears in the 1919 staff photograph.
A. Hartley
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Miss Harvey
won the "young ladies" event at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in October 1912.
Mrs Hay
was at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909. Presumably she was either an employee, or the wife of an employee.
H. Hayward
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Mr Hazell
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Mr Hendry
participated at the employees' picnic in November 1910, and played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912..
Mr Hermann
was working with Lewis in 1900.
Mr Heylen
participated at the employees' picnic in November 1910.
Mr Hill
was working with Lewis in 1900. Photograph 13 from the album (c 1904) is annotated "George Hill", possibly the same man. Mr Hill teamed with Mr Job to come second in the wheelbarrow race at the November 1909 picnic sports, and participated again in 1910 and October 1912. Mrs Hill won the "married ladies" event in 1912. At a dinner to celbrate 25 yeaars of business in 1917, Geo. Hill "who has been with the firm for 21 years" was the M.C. and proposed the health of "The Founder of the Firm" - clearly he had a special role in the company.
G. Hogham
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
H. Hollands
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Miss Holt
was at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in November 1909 - perhaps an employee or the daughter of an employee.
E. Holton
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
R. Honeybone
was presented with a dinner service on the occasion of his marriage in June 1910 - thus perhaps a long-term emloyee? In August 1910, he starred for the Lewis football team in a game against rival motor firm Eyes and Crowle.
Mr Horton
attended the third Vivian Lewis Limited employees' picnic in November 1910.
E. Howie
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Mr Hudson
played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
Mrs Hunter
attended the third Vivian Lewis Limited employees' picnic in November 1910 - she may have been an employee, or the wife of an employee.
G. Inglis
An undated reference has Gordon Inglis working as a salesman for Vivian Lewis Limited of Gawler Place, selling Renault and Oldsmobile cars. Lewis had agencies for both makes in 1920 and 1921.
Mr Jackson
played cricket for the "married men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
Mr Jacobs
was "a traveller for the Lewis Motor Cycle Company" when in December 1910 he had a nasty accident. "A cow crossed his track, and he shouted to make it move on, but instead of doing so the animal turned round, and Mr.Jacobs ran into its hind-quarters. He was thrown to the ground, and was picked up in a semi-conscious state and taken to Nurse Robertson's Private Hospital, where he still lies in the same condition." Since the accident report had a dateline "December 23, Terrowie", it is likely possible that he was based at one of the country agencies.
Mr James
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees' picnic in October 1912, and a Mrs James, presumably his wife, was at the November 1908 and November 1909 events. It is not known if there is any link with W.H. James below, but it seems unlikely.
W. H. James
Mr James was a director of Vivian Lewis Limited, and probably the Chairman of Directors in 1922 when  company documents described him as "Estate Agent, Malvern". He retired from this position in May 1923, sold his interest in the firm, and was succeeded by Napier Birks.
R. Jewell
Roy Jewell began his working life in 1918 at Vivian Lewis Ltd - most likely at the bicycle business at 111 Gawler Place. He left after about a year to begin an appreniceship with David Garvie making film projectors, and stayed in that field for the rest of his working life.
Mr Job
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1908   and November 1909.
Mr Johns
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1908.
Mr Jolly
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Mr Kappler
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909.
W. F. Kelly
An article in April 1918 tells us that William F Kelly was "for many years in the employ of the late Mr R. Barr Smith, and afterwaards engaged by Vivian Lewis, Limited". On his death later that month we learn he was with Mr Barr Smith for 25 years as coachman.
C. M. Kemp
was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
G. T. Kilsby
Gilbert Kilsby was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war. The Kilsby family were keen motorcyclists in the Mt Gambier area, and a photo has survived of Gilbert Kilsby aboard his c1914 air-cooled single-speed Lewis registration number 5645.
Mr King
played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
Miss Knight
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
B. Knight
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. A Mr Knight played cricket for the "married men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
M.L.
was typing letters at Lewis in 1917. (Likely Miss M. Langloise listed below.)
Miss M. Langloise
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. (Likely M.L. listed above.) Miss M Langoise won the "Single Ladies' Race" at the employees' sports picnic in November 1909, and participated in the "young ladies" event in October 1912.
Miss Lankenan
participated in the "Single Ladies" race at the employees' picnic in November 1910 - she was likely an employee, or the daughter of an employee.
A. Larry
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Mr Lawrie
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
S. C. Leaver
was working at the Motor House in Victoria Square in 1909. His name appears on a receipt made out to Bertie Barr Smith, so it is likely he had a position of some responsibility. He participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnics in November 1908, 1909 and 1910.
F. Le Lue
Frank Edwin Le Lue, son of Mr. and Mrs. F.L. LeLue of Semaphore, was one of three Vivian Lewis Limited employees to lose his life in the Great War. Prior to enlisting in 1916, he worked in the Motor Department at Lewis. An obituary appears on page 8 of the Advertiser 9 July 1917.
A. R. Lewis
Archibald Rowden Lewis was one of Vivian Lewis's younger brothers. He was a joint signatory on some of the documents that established Vivian Lewis Limited in 1907, and he was a shareholder. His role in the business is not clear, but he was "a salesman" at the Lewis Cycle Works in April 1901.
A. S. Lewis
Arthur Sangster Lewis was one of Vivian Lewis's sons. A mining engineer who spent a considerable period in Broken Hill, he is unlikely to have been involved with Vivian Lewis Limited. He was associated with Lewis Cycle Works Limited in the 1960s and 1970s.
C. W. Lewis
Cyril William Lewis was one of Vivian Lewis's sons. Returning to England in 1919 after service in the AIF, he was granted leave to work with F.E. Baker Limited in Birmingham as a motor mechanic. Baker had supplied Lewis with Precision motors since 1911, and would supply Lewis Cycle Works Limited, which Cyril was to form in 1924 with his brother Vivian, with Beardmore Precision motorcycles and Beardmore cars until the mid 1920s. It is not known whether he was involved with Vivian Lewis Limited in the early 1920s, but he was a major contributor to Lewis Cycle Works Limited.
P. Lewis
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909. Since he came second in the high jump, it seems inconceivable that this was Percy T. Lewis (below)! It may have been Vivian's son (Rupert) Percy, or another employee P. Lewis.
P. T. Lewis
Percival Tyndal Lewis, one of Vivian Lewis's younger brothers, joined the Ormode Bicycle Depot business at or near its inception in 1893. He was the manager of the Broken Hill branch of Lewis for about 12 years - probably from its establishment in 1897 until he moved down to Adelaide in March 1908. He was a Director of Vivian Lewis Limited from its formation in 1907 - at which time he was still "Branch Manager, Broken Hill" - through until the Mann's takeover in 1924. Since one third of the ordinary directors were required to retire each year (re-election was allowed), his tenure may not have been continuous, but most likely was. He was certainly a director in 1907, 1909, 1911, 1913, 1917, 1920 and 1921, and was acting managing director in Crosby's absence in 1919. At the annual employees' picnic in October 1912, Percy responded on behalf of the firm - presumably in Vivian's absence. Percy Lewis appears in the 1919 staff photograph. It is likely that Percy Lewis was the only person to be with the Lewis operations from their inception in 1893 until the breakup of 1924.
S. H. Lewis
Stanley Heathcote Lewis was one of Vivian Lewis's sons. It is unlikely that he was much involved in Vivian Lewis Limited, but he did have links to Lewis Cycle Works Limited.
T. Lewis
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. He is likely unrelated to the Lewis family.
V. L. Lewis
Vivian Louis Lewis (or Louis Vivian Lewis, according to some sources - no matter as he rarely if ever used his second christian name) was the driving force behind the Lewis businesses from foundation of the Ormonde Bicycle Depot in 1893 until he was forced to relinquish the managing director role at Vivian Lewis Limited in 1913 due to failing health. He died in 1919.
V. J. Lewis
Vivian James Lewis was Vivian Lewis's eldest son, and was working for Vivian Lewis Limited c1919 on his return from war service. In around 1923, he and his brother Cyril took over the running of the Lewis Cycle Works (in Adelaide, Port Pirie, Port Adelaide and Broken Hill), and in 1924 formed Lewis Cycle Works Limited, which existed selling bicycles and wheelchairs until 1975. From 1928, he was involved with Lewis Parking Station Limited, which operated from the northern portion of the old Vivian Lewis Limited works on Gawler Place South. He appears in the 1919 staff photograph.
C. Lindsay
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Miss Lloyd
participated in the "young ladies" event at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in October 1912.
Mr Lock
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees' picnic, November 1908. Mrs Lock participated at the 1909 event so presumably Mr Lock was still with the company then. He played for the "married men" in a cricket match at the picnic in October 1912, where his wife also participated.
Miss Lommond
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. (Possibly M.L. listed above?)
Mr McKay
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
E. McKinna
Ted McKinna was Sales Manager with Vivian Lewis Limited in March 1924. In 1933, running his own business at 179 Gawler Place, he said of himself: "Over 20 years with Duncan and Fraser Ltd, Four years Dodge Bros., Three years Vivian Lewis Ltd."
W. T. McKnight
succeeded T.P. O'Grady as factory manager in May 1910. McKnight came from Western Australia where he had been "...in charge of one of the largest motor concerns in the west". He spoke on behalf of the firm at the employees' picnic in November 1910, and played cricket for the "married men" in October 1912.
D. J. McNamara
Dave McNamara was running his own cycle business in Commercial St, Mt Gambier when it was purchased by the Lewis Cycle and Motor Works in January 1907 to become their Mt Gambier Branch. After the acquisition he stayed on as branch manager. Earlier in 1906 the business of Jewell and McNamara traded at the same address, offering motor cycles as well as Massey Harris bicycles.
Mr Mail (?)
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. Handwriting on the caption indistinct.
Mr Malpas
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
Mr Malrard
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1908.
C. H. Marshall
was a most interesting chap! As a lad he had special skill as a horse-breaker, and based on his way with horses was employed by Dr. C. E. Todd to drive him on his rounds. With the motor age, Marshall joined the Lewis Cycle and Motor Works and drove for them in reliability trials etc, before returning to drive Dr Todd's motor car. He was later involved with Sir William Bragg (Dr Todd's brother-in-law) as a technician in the pioneering days of x rays. We worked with Dr Todd in England and Paris, and became, after Toidd's death in 1917, the radiographer at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.
W. Martin
Wally Martin was working with Lewis in 1900 when the first Lewis car was commissioned, and by 1921 had risen to be head painter in the Motor Body Department. He appears in the 1919 staff photograph. Mrs Martin was third in the "egg and spoon" race at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in November 1908 and second in the "cotton winding" in November 1910! A Mr Martin spoke on behalf of the Broken Hill employees at Vivian Lewis' farewell in May 1913, but this may have been a different man. In 1917, speaking on the occasion of 25 years of the firm, Vivian Lewis made special mention of W. Martin, so clearly he was a long term emplyee held in high regard.
B. Memmler
One second-hand oral reference has a Mr Memmler making the petrol tanks and radiators for Lewis motor cycles. B. Memmler was a tinsmith active in Adelaide from the early 1890s. In August 1912 tenders were called for the erection of a "Factory of Wood and Iron" for Mr Memmler "Motor and Metal Worker" in Angas St. In 1915 he advertised from 239 Angas St as "motor sheet metal worker... maker of radiators, petrol tanks, bonnet, mud guards, motor lamps. Panels a speciality." Although no documentary evidence has yet come to light, it seems highly likely that Mr Memmler was indeed involved making sheet metal parts for Lewis motorcycles.
F. Menkens
signed a receipt for payment of a large account in October 1908, and participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic in November the same year. In 1917 Vivian Lewis made special mention of him among a small group of employees who "assisted to make the business", so it is clear he had served the firm long and well.
C. H. Miller
was the company secretary for Vivian Lewis Limited in 1924 - 1925.
F. Mitchell
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
A. E. Morey
worked with Lewis as an assistant in the Motor Cycle Department for 12 to 14 months in 1912-13, when he left "of his own accord" according a surviving letter of reference.
R. Morton
Robert Morton turns up in the strangest places in the Lewis story! We first encounter him - perhaps by chance - in Perth when Mlle Serpolette is there in 1898, then again he is present when Serpolette gives her exhibition in Adelaide. In 1906, described as "a manager for the Lewis Cycle and Motor Works in Adelaide", he spent a few days in Mt. Gambier generating business. During this year he was in charge of the firm for 5 months while Vivian Lewis was in England and Europe. From 1907 until he left for Melbourne in 1909 he seems to have worked with Vivian Lewis Ltd in Adelaide as an accountant and manager. His signature appears on the certificate of incorporation for Vivian Lewis Limited in 1907. In Melbourne he  became a key figure in the importing firm A.E. Kemsley & Co., the Australian connection for Tozer, Kemsley and Fisher (later Tozer, Kemsley and Millbourn Ltd.).
M. M. Mullins
Merrington Mullins had two stints working at Lewis, the first around 1897 - 1901, then again for a few years beginning in 1917 when he had the role of factory manager. He went on to establish a most successful and durable business, Mullins Wheels. He appears in the 1919 staff photograph.
J. Murison
was a machinist with Vivian Lewis Ltd in Burra when he volunteered to serve in the frist war in September 1914. An article in the Burra Record (23/9/1914) tells us he had been in Burra for only six months, but but that he had "ten to twelve years" experience with motors. In 1917, Mr Murrison (sic) was listed among the employess of Vivian Lewis who had gone to war. (I have a reference to a Mr Murison being the firsst owner of my 1910 four-cylinder FN motorcycle - this Murison is the only motoring person of this name I have come across so far...)
M. P. Murphy
M.P. "Motor" Murphy was the manager of the Lewis depot in Edithburgh in 1910. In November 1908, at the Vivian Lewis motor picnic at Belair, he responded to a speech by Mr Lewis on behalf of the employees. At the same event in 1909, he proposed a toast to the visitors. We can infer that he had some standing within the company. In his book From Horse to Horsepower, S.A. Cheney writes of an encounter with Murphy: "One day when crossing the Gulf between Adelaide and Yorke Peninsula in the smelly little steamer Juno a rival motor-car salesman, Mick Murphy, of Vivian Lewis Ltd, entertained the passengers with card tricks. His legerdemain was good. He was making a name for himself that would assure his entrée almost anywhere with country people, and so lead to car sales." Recognising a cunning sales technique when he saw one, Cheney went on to teach himself card tricks!
Mr Newman
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1908.
Mr Nicholls
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
C. Norman
In February 1917, Carl Norman was a motor car driver for Vivian Lewis Limited. He also appears in a staff photograph, c1919.
T.P. O'Grady
Thomas Patrick O'Grady was right-hand-man to Vivian Lewis from the beginnings of the business in 1892. When Vivian Lewis Limited was established in 1907, he was one of the three directors of the company. In 1910 he relinquished the role of factory manager to travel abroad, but on his return he resumed his position as a director of the company. He died in 1916.
J. H. Oliver
was the company secretary for Vivian Lewis Limited in 1927.
Master Oswald
participated in the boys' race at the employees' picnic in October 1912 - presumably the son of an employee. (In fact, could easily be Oswald O'Grady, son of Tom O'Grady.)
E. O'Toole
was the company secretary for Vivian Lewis Limited in 1926.
G. P.
was typing letters at Lewis in 1913. (Possibly Miss Paris listed below?)
H. W. Padfield
Mr Padfield played cricket for the "married men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912, where he also responded to a toast and acted as starter for the sports events.
Miss Paris
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. (Possibly G.P. listed above?)
D. Parsons
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
R Part
participated in the novelty race at the Vivian Lewis employees' picnic, November 1909.
Mr Pawson
played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
W.H. Pearce
Mr Pearce proposed a toast to "the ladies" at the Vivian Lewis employees' picnic in October 1912. H. Pearce - possibly the same man - spoke on behalf of the employees at Broken Hill at Vivian Lewis' farewell in May 1913.
Mr Polglase
attended the third Vivian Lewis Limited employees' picnic in November 1910
H. W. Pope
Mt Gambier enthusiast John Hill boarded with ex-Lewis employee Herbert Tyley in the 1960s. He recalls Harold Pope as one of the Lewis employees metioned by Mr Tyley, so he was likely at Lewis before the first war. H. W. Pope was listed in June 1917 among the Vivian lewis Ltd employees who had enlisted in the war effort.
Mr Poyser
participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnics in November 1908, 1909 and 1910. Quite the sportsman!
A. G. Pritchard
was working at Lewis c1906. He later travelled to England, where he participated in hill climbs in a Talbot car. In the 1920s he represented Berliet in Adelaide.
J. G. Ramsey
George Ramsey broke the World 24 Hour Record on a Lewis motorcycle in December 1913. At the ensuing celebration, Alf Sampson reminisced that George had been "a boy in his employment" when he was resident in Kadina (presumably when Alf was manager of the Lewis branch 1906 -1910).
Master Reid
participated in the "Boys under 15" race at the employees' picnic in November 1910 - quite young lads were employed at the time, but it is also possible he was the son of an employee.
H. R. Richards
Harold Raymond Richards worked with Vivian Lewis Limited as a car salesman. In September 1926 he met with an accident while a passenger in a vehicle with prospective customers, and was killed. In April 1927 his family was awarded £600 compensation.
G. Rictor
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
F. Rogers
drove one of three Lewis hire cars to the Clare Races in January 1905.
F. Ross
Frederick Ross, emloyee of Vivian Lewis Limited and driver of one of the Lewis mail vans, had his day in court in April 1908 for driving without a license. The charge was not proven and dismissed as "trifling". 
E. W. T. Rowe
Ted Rowe was the manager of the Kadina Branch in 1913 (at which time it was likely operating independently from Vivian Lewis Limited, so he may not have been a Lewis employee?).
C. Rumball
won the bicycle race at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909.
Mr Rundle
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
A. E. Sampson
On Adelaide Cup Day in May 1904, Alf Sampson, described as "the well-known racing cyclist", joined with Tom O'Grady to bring race results from Morphetville Racecourse to the city offices of The Evening Journal on Lewis motor cycles. He was the manager of the Kadina Branch from 1906 through to February 1910 when he became the Lewis "country inspector". He was still with Lewis in Adelaide in December 1913, when he was described as a "manager".
Mr Schneider
was a manager with the Burra branch of Vivian Lewis Ltd in October 1915 (at which time, dressed in a bear skin, he drove a car "prettily decorated in greenery and "snow" flakes" representing "Russia" and made "a comical and fierce looking Bruin").
C. O. Scott
was the manager of the Clare Branch in 1914.
C. Searce
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
D. W. Simpson
was appointed manager at the Kadina Branch when Lewis re-purchased it in 1915. In June 1917 he  among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
Mr Slack
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
B. Smith
Berry Smith was an accountant, and the company secretary of Vivian Lewis Limited from its beginnings in May 1907. He was tragically knocked down and killed by a tram in August 1910. Berry presented Tom O'Grady with a travelling rug from the employees at his farewell in March 1910. A Mr Smith participated in sports events at the Vivian Lewis employees picnics, November 1908 and 1909, but while it may have been Berry, it could also have been J. Smith below.
J. Smith
was the leader of one of the Tug-of-War teams at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909. He also participated in November 1910, and likely in 1908 (see B. Smith above). A Mrs Smith participated in picnic events in 1909, 1910 and 1912. A Mr Smith played cricket for the "married men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
Master or Mistress Steinberg
participated in an "Under 10" event at the employees' picnic in November 1910 - let's assume a child of an employee. In fact Mr. Steinberg spoke at the farewell to Vivian Lewis in May 1913, so he may well have been an employee of some standing.
Mr Stiller
played cricket for the "married men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
Mr Stuart
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
J. Summers
In 1897 Jack Summers was part of the three-member team that rode the "new" Lewis cycle triplet, pacing cyclists at the Jubilee Oval in Adelaide. Jack was also prominent at a meeting at the same venue in May 1898 when he pushed Mlle Seroplette's recalcitrant motor tricycle "with an energy worthy of a better cause" in "his earnest endeavors to get the thing to gee".
W. Swan
was working with Lewis in 1900.
F. Swift
participated in the bicycle race at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909.
A. Taylor
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
A. Thompson
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
W. E. Tilbrook
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
S. A. R. Tonkin
was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
Mr Tooze
participated in the novelty race at the Vivian Lewis employees picnic, November 1909. A. J. Tooze was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
C. Tuck
Clifford Tuck was a motor trimmer at Vivian Lewis Limited. He was killed in action, age 20, in 1917.
H. Tyley
Herbert Tyley was an apprentice with the Lewis Cycle and Motor Works at the time of the construction of the first car in 1900. He recounted to Mt. Gambier enthusiast John Hill (who boarded with him at 3 Oxford St, Kilkenny, from 1961 to 1965) that he would be called on to push the car down the street from the works to try to start it: it often travelled only yards before it had to be pushed back to the works. He recalled that the car was run initially on paraffin, but later petrol became available. While the car would eventually run down hill and on the flat, it had trouble with even the slightest hill. In the 1960s Mr Tyley still had a very early petrol container: a thick steel affair, about 6 gallons, with a cylindrical body and domed ends, and a small brass screw-on cap. He recalled buying a Fafnir motorcycles (likely locally built using a German Fafnir motor) which a Lewis customer had traded in, but it was made very clear to him that he was not to ride it to work! After the first war, Mr Tyley established his own business as a cycle enameller, with works in Angas or Wakefield St, Adelaide (the works backed on to a catholic convent). When John lodged with him in the 1960s, he had an enamelling setup in a large shed in his back yard. The shed floor was made from recycles redgum blocks, and the enamelling oven was heated by a paraffin blow lamp.
Mr Venus
played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
S. G. Virgo
described himself as "late of Vivian Lewis, Limited" when he established his new cycle shop in Mt Gambier in January 1923. Presumably he had been working for the Mt Gambier branch of Lewis, which closed its doors the previous month.
N. W.
was typing letters at Lewis in 1921.
J. Walters
In 1897 Mr Walters was part of the three-member team that rode the "old" Lewis cycle triplet, pacing cyclists at the Jubilee Oval in Adelaide.
W. Walters
was the workshop foreman at the Broken Hill Branch of Lewis when he, on behalf of the employes, made a presentation to Mr. Percy Lewis at his farewell in March 1909.
Mr Washington
teamed with Cook to win the wheelbarrow race at the third Vivian Lewis Limited employees' picnic in November 1910.
E. H. Wege
was engaged as "chief mechanic" of the re-vamped Lewis Branch in Mt Gambier in October 1922. That the branch had closed completely by 20 December of that same year was likely not Mr Wege's fault! E. H. Wege is not the man who designed and built the most interesting thre-cylinder two-stroke motor car engine in South Australia in the early 1920s (that was W. J. F. Wege), but the two may well have been related.
M. Welsch
Mark Welsch was working with Lewis in 1900. He later opened his own motor garage in Dunn St Semaphore.
C. West
was a regular driver for Lewis around 1904-5. In January, 1905, for example, he drove one of three Lewis hire cars to the Clare Races.
E. Whitney
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. Handwriting on the caption indistinct.
Mr Wilson (?)
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919. Handwriting on the caption indistinct. This may be the Mr M. Wilson who was among the staff of Vivian Lewis Ltd who were honoured in July 1917 for enlisting to serve in the war.
W. J. Winterbottom
Wentwoth Winterbottom was working at the Lewis Cycle and Motor Works as an engine fitter in 1905 (when his wife died suddenly, age 23).
Mr Wood
played cricket for the "single men" at the employees' picnic in October 1912.
Mr Woods
is in a Vivian Lewis Limited staff photograph, c1919.
C. Woodward
Cyril Woodward was working at Lewis in Kadina c1909 when, as a lad of 13, his tasks included driving cars in and out of the garage and parking them on the road, for which he was granted a special license.
J. J. Work
Mr Work finished second behind Bill Courtney in the "Old Buffers" event at the Vivian Lewis Limited employees' picnic in October 1912. He acted as a judge at the event.

People index | People at Lewis Cycle Works Limited

Copyright © Leon Mitchell 2007-2011

The Lewis Project Home | Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page